Thursday, June 11, 2009

A New Addition to the Bell Household!




The Birds and the Bees

For those of you who have seen the movie Failure to Launch, this will make you laugh. For those of you who have not, don't worry, I will explain everything.

In the movie, two girls share an apartment and their lives. I think they are best friends. Anyways, one of the girls does not like noise. There happens to be this one bird that continues to chirp and chirp outside her bedroom window at all hours of the night. She hates the bird. I mean she hates the bird. So she coins the phrase "What the h**l kind of devil bird chirps at night?" Makes you laugh right. Birds don't do that. At least that is what I thought.

Outside our apartment, are several trees, which house a 100 or so birds. Right outside our window. If the moon is bright, they chirp into the night. I mean they are loud!! I disliked the little darlings until I realized that they were just doing what God created them to do. Now I envy the birds. No sooner do I decide I like them, then do they decide to make a home for themselves in our new cute hanging plant. By the way, NO, we are not pregnant. But the birds around our apartment are. The birds not only made a home there, they also made a nest. Oh Joy.

Curiously, I carefully watered the plan today. I don't want any human smell on it, I don't want the birds to abandon their nest. Not that there are not plenty of birds running around here. I guess they fly, but you get the point. Well, the friends didn't lay one egg. They did not lay two eggs. They laid three eggs in my plant. So in a few weeks, we will have 3 little ones, chirping for joy, just as the Lord created them to do, front the viewing point of our hanging plant, on my balcony.

I included a picture for your pleasure! Enjoy our little ones!

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

I went through the same thing recently! (side note: I love Failure to Launch, Zooey Deschanel was hysterical in it!) Anyway, back to the birds:

I was having trouble sleeping about a month ago and couldn't figure out why until one night it hit me- there was a bird singing outside my window. At night! Not hooting, like an occasional owl. Full on singing like it was trying out for American Idol. I immediately thought: "OMG, this bird got confused and thinks it's daytime. This is so inconvenient!" It chirped and sang and warbled for several nights. I was correspondingly awake for several nights.

Then, about night five, I was staring at my ceiling and thinking about Shakespeare and all of a sudden I thought of Romeo and Juliet. You know, the morning after the "wedding"-

"It was the nightingale, and not the lark,
That pierced the fearful hollow of thine ear;
Nightly she sings on yon pomegranate tree:
Believe me, love, it was the nightingale." -Juliet

"It was the lark, the herald of the morn,
No nightingale: Look, love, what envious streaks
Do lace the severing clouds in yonder east"...
-Romeo

[arguing about whether it's morning and they have to get up]

And I suddenly remembered that there are birds meant to sing at night, no matter how inconvenient. Or how confusing. So I'm just throwing my lot in with Juliet, taking sleeping pills like she did, and hoping for a better ending.

I hope your chicks are polite about their singing once they hatch. Or at least on-key.

Love you.

*The Bell Life* said...

Who would have even known, God made birds to chirp at night?!!!!! Why?!

Oh my. I hope they sing on key too. There are going to be five now. I found 2 more eggs today. Talk about a crazy time. It is going to be loud for sure. And they are chicks. Which means, they will most likely chirp whenever they want. So excited about that!

Love you too.