Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Our DC Life


So I work in the city. In fact, I am here almost 50 hours a week. City Life is a much different ballgame. We just moved to the metro DC area. July will mark a year for Mikhail's and December, will be a year for me. City life sure is differnt.

For the most part, the city is a fast-paced kind of place. Everyone has somewhere to go, someone to meet, or something to do. If they don't, you will find people on their Blackberries making plans and keeping in touch with the outside world. This is nothing like my sweet hometown of Oralndo, Florida. There the people are going somewhere, but they wont run over you on the way to their destination. Traffic is calmer. People move slower and speak sweeter. Perhaps the best thing about my hometown is that it is 45 minutes from the beach. How I miss the ocean.

Life Lessons.

Since arriving here, I learned the meaning of the term: Not-For-Profit. You see, I work for the government during the day, and I teach at a Community College at night. University life I was used to, however, working for the government is another story. What does this have to do with the term Not-For-Profit? Well, the government, our efficient government is Not-For-Profit. I have found this means that government moves slow. I understand why the post office runs as it does. After being here, I can only hope that healthcare does not end up being less efficient than the postal service. Then we would really need healthcare reform.

No comments: